Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Birthday Post

Happy Birthday to me!  At my age, a first: knocked up for my birthday.  Today was my first appt in the Swedish Prenatal Healthcare world, and I was less than blown away.  The pro?  A cute sonogram pic finally!!

Look at this, so clear and, BIG!


Diabetes makes this a "high risk pregnancy."  With today's technology, it is perfectly manageable and treatable, with biweekly monitoring visits, insulin therapy, and insulin dosage adjustments.  Something I have yet to find here locally.  Swedish prenatal healthcare relies heavily if not exclusively on highly regulated and educated midwifery.  Which is fine for about 90-95% of pregnancies.

Obstetricians are rarely seen, maybe once during your whole pregnancy (even if you WANT to see them!) and I suspect they only step in when C-sections or other "complications" arise.  Although I have heard they have midwives here that deal with diabetics, I have yet to be seen by one.  In fact, I seem to have come across a "meh"-no-one seems-to-care-much-no-one-is-concerned attitude here.  I wasn't recommended to take prenatal vitamins, no one asked me the date of my last menstrual period, no one asked me about my medical history, no one looked at the 20+ blood tests I've already had done, no one cared to look at my blood glucose log, and my next appt is in two weeks, two weeks with absolutely no glucose level monitoring or treatment.

Really??  I understand prenatal care is different the world over, I do.  But my gut tells me this is not right and I should be better monitored.  So, I'm pushing for better care.  I'm going through the nurse here who is trying really hard to help me, and I intend to be a pain in the butt to the healthcare workers here until I get the proper treatment.  I'm hoping next week the nurse will find a better practice or at least give this hospital prenatal unit an earful (Danderyd, in case you are wondering).

I'm trying very hard to not be med-evac'ed out of here like I was out of Athens with N.  I want to make it here until early June.  Our plans are to return to DC in June for two years.

But we all know what Life thinks about "plans."  :)

No comments: