Sunday, February 3, 2013

11 Weeks :)

11 Weeks!

Good news, the constipation is slightly better!  For the record, I don't think anything I did improved it, I just think my body moved on to the next phase of metabolism.  Definitely energy levels are up.

The alarming news, I have a noticeable belly.  Ok, maybe not so big here in this photo because of the angle, but believe me, it's large for 11 weeks!  And I realize I wasn't, well, "slim" before, but I can tell where the fat ends and the belly begins.  For over a month now, my jeans haven't fit.  I'm still waiting for the maternity pants my mom hemmed to arrive in the mail.  I'm pretty proud, I've done miracles with leggings!!

Last week I met the midwife (finally) that will mostly be overlooking my case, Camilla.  Adal really liked, and I have to admit, it WAS easy to talk to her.  We explained why we are so concerned with the level of care I will receive and our unfamiliarity with the Swedish system.  Camilla seemed understanding, and spent well close to an hour talking with us.  She explained that next week I will meet with an Obstetrician (NOT the same airhead that saw me first!) and an Endocrinologist together to discuss my case.  I think that sounds good, but I'm still a bit worried over my continuing care.  I guess I'm worried State dept doctors might not deem my care here enough for me and want to Medevac me out.  I want to stick it out here until June!

In the US and PR, most ObGyns want a diabetic mother's fasting sugar level to be below the normal range, which is about 120 mg/dl.  Last time (2005), and during my initial med appts in PR this year, the doctors' goal was for me to be below 100 mg/dl.  Here, the midwife nurse won't even blink until she sees 126 on my fasting sugars.  So we'll see what the State dept doctor thinks of that...

I learned the nuchal translucency test is optional here; you have to ask for it.  Well, it's a good thing I did, as State dept requires it.  This test is in two parts, a blood test and an in-depth ultrasound.  It's to detect the amount and type of fluid in the neck of the fetus (and other measurements) and can help diagnose chromosomal conditions.  It can only be done between 11 - 14 weeks of gestation, as the fluid drains out of this area after that.  I have an appt in a week and a half for my test!

So, this coming week I have my OB/Endocrinologist appt and an appt with a State dept doctor.  I'll update soon!

No comments: