Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Nuchal Translucency results



So there's our Mocoso!  Large and well-developed!  Today was the nuchal translucency screening.  It's an ultrasound done between 11 and 14 weeks of gestation, when the nuchal fold is still transparent.  It's performed in conjunction with a blood test to screen for chromosomal problems.

Poor A, he was able to see the very first ultrasound and almost all the other ones when I was pregnant with N.   I've had about 6 ultrasounds already, and A's missed every single one!  He was scheduled to be at this one, but N is really sick with a bad stomach flu.  Now he'll have to wait until the 18 week ultrasound to see Mocoso for the first time.

At my age, (and no, I'm not going to tell you, but it's under 40), chromosomal defects are a 1/175 risk (approx), based solely on my age.  With the blood test and the nuchal translucency ultrasound, where they measure certain parts of the fetus, the risk has decreased to 1/4793.  Which is excellent news, since the baby's measurements all around were very good.  Poor Mocoso was moving around the whole time!  Mocoso looked like it was jumping all around, probably bothered by the ultrasound waves.  I never get tired of seeing it on the screen though.

I AM a little tired of calling it "it".  I would like to know already if it's a him or her!  I forgot to ask at the ultrasound, so now I have to wait.

No comments: